Where to mount the SCATT sensor on a rifle?

Your highest shooting achievement
Bronze in English championships 10m AR
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
3 years
3 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I use SCATT with an Anschutz 9015, which has a dedicated SCATT rail right at the end of the barrel, so that's where I mount the sensor. I'd never really thought about doing anything else but found myself wondering:

Where is the best place to mount the SCATT sensor on a rifle, and why?

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
3 years
7 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Afternoon Tom,
There are some thoughts that the sensor is actually recording movements which originate from the shoulder and it will provide good results, even if it is placed nearer to the rearsight, if that is physically possible.
The MX-W2 and MX-02 are able to be positioned in any rotational angular position around the bore as long as they have a clear FOV. There are some that I have seen have been fitted onrto a rail extension to the side of the rearsight.
Have an experiment to see where you are happiest.

OP
T
Bronze in English championships 10m AR
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
3 years
3 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Thanks, John. I'm happy with it mounted on the "official" SCATT rail on the barrel extension but would be interested to know if anyone has any particular reason why they mount it elsewhere.

10m pistol French Championship qualifications
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
On a pistol the sensor has a significant effect on the center of gravity and the rotational inertia. Therefore you may like to put the sensor furthest from the center (far end of the barrel) if you shoot precision, and conversely closest to the center (rear of the barrel) for speed shooting. I don't suppose it will make such a difference on a rifle.