Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hello everyone, I saw the Video of SCATT on Facebook:

I noticed that both shooters fixed the sensor quite close to the diopter instead at the end of the barrel. Does this have something to do with the dry fire situation and distances closer than 10m?
Without deeper thoughts to put in, I would assume that the results get better with this kind of setup because the acceleration of the sensor is smaller than at the end of the barrel.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
12 Posts
9 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I had issues with the sensor up near the muzzle, I could not get 100% reliability in dry fire, sometimes it would not detect the shot, even with me playing with piezo adjustment. On advice from someone I moved the sensor closer to the action, and it works perfectly.

Your highest shooting achievement
NTIT 2019 National Championship
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 5 years
5 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Wouldn't closer to action create false numbers? Thinking of movement, distance to target calibration, etc. Sure, it is only a couple of inches, but at reduced ranges where 8 meters = 200 yards, those inches matter.

OP
P
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I would think it is just the opposite. I am using Scatt to trace my movements. Interesting are the movements on the target. The turning point of the system is probably close to the body. In theory the movement speed of an object around this turning point increases with greater distance. So if I attach the sensor closer to the turning point - movement stats should be slower in comparison to mounting the sensor close to the muzzle.
In reality the speed of the muzzle matters to evaluate how calm the shot is fired.
The setup videos and guides also show a sensor mounted close to the muzzle.
These are at least my thoughts on that.
Can somebody confirm that? Or is there an explanation for doing it otherwise?

Your highest shooting achievement
XTC Master
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 5 years
13 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Perhaps I don't understand the problem (wouldn't be the first time)...

If there is an accelerometer in the sensor, then position on the barrel will make a difference. I think, though, that the sensor only detects where the rifle is pointed at any given moment and calculates all the various reported parameters from that data taken over time. If that is the case, then sensor position on the barrel should not make any difference since it will be pointed at the same spot on the target whether it is at the muzzle or farther back. Angular velocity, as well as velocity in translation, will remain the same.

Tim

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
12 Posts
9 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
you can see in my avatar where the sensor is, it's only about half way back the barrel.