Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
86 Posts
58 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
Hi all. I've just published a review of the SCATT Expert software and also compared it to SCATT Professional. I hope you find it useful. I've also linked to this forum with the hope that more shooters and trainers will join :)

Your highest shooting achievement
2018 WCH Changwon 22nd place
Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 5 years
18 Posts
20 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Thanks! I was going to write a comparison myself (and I probably will still do it). I've been using Scatt Professional for years, but when the Linux version of Expert came out I had to try it. I much prefer the UI of Professional. Sure it looks old, but it's a lot more easier to use a UI designed for a computer than one designed for a phone/tablet when you're on a laptop. Still when you are shooting Expert is nice, but when analyzing a whole session I find it lacking. Mostly due to the lack of the Info tab and the Intervals graph. Sure you find the info on the print preview, but I is really inconvenient. And Expert's version of the Intervals graph on the bottom is in no way a replacement for Pro's graph. Ideally I would like to record sessions in Expert and then analyze them in Pro, but unfortunately this is not possible.

MX-02 is great hardware, but I think that the main thing holding it back is the lack of free and open source software for it. If we had a foss alternative I could just write some code to get the information I need for some specific thing rather than depend on Scatt to think of my weird usecases. But as it stands we are limited to whatever Scatt puts out.

OP
Ramon OP
Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
86 Posts
58 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
Please, do write it! If you don't have a site you can add it as a comment to my post. In fact, just adding what you just wrote here would be great!

Thanks a lot for sharing your insight :)

Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
13 Posts
9 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
@Ramon OP There is a possibility to export .scatt files to excel... but no export for .scatt-expert files yet

OP
Ramon OP
Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
86 Posts
58 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
@Ramon OP There is a possibility to export .scatt files to excel... but no export for .scatt-expert files yet
Thanks. I'm having trouble with the part that needs Windows :)

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Centerfire Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
6 Posts
9 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
You don't need Windows to open Excel files, fwiw.

OP
Ramon OP
Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
86 Posts
58 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
You don't need Windows to open Excel files, fwiw.
I know, but these scripts need windows to convert to Excel or csv. I will get to it, but I first have to install python on a virtualized Windows and I've never done it. Working with Windows is not something I look forward to.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Centerfire Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
6 Posts
9 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
.scatt-expert files are actually SQLite databases. You can open them using any SQLite DB browser. I use DB Browser for SQLite which open source and available for Windows, macOS and Linux (find it on https://sqlitebrowser.org). From there you can export the tables as CSV files, if you need to.

But be aware that this is not really helpful, since there is no official documentation of the datastructure, afaict. And they use BLOBs for various data and without knowledge about their encoding, there is probably not much useful information to find in the files.

Last edited:
OP
Ramon OP
Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
86 Posts
58 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
.scatt-expert files are actually SQLite databases. You can open them using any SQLite DB browser. I use DB Browser for SQLite which open source and available for Windows, macOS and Linux (find it on https://sqlitebrowser.org). From there you can export the tables as CSV files, if you need to.

But be aware that this is not really helpful, since there is no official documentation of the datastructure, afaict. And they use BLOBs for various data and without knowledge about their encoding, there is probably not much useful information to find in the files.
Yes, but I have not found yet how to do it in bulk/batch :) I'm not devoting a lot of time to this though. I have very limited time per day available and the priority is on training and writing for olympicpistol.com

2018 WCH Changwon 22nd place
Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 5 years
18 Posts
20 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
If you want automatic backup the data is stored in ~/.local/share/SCATT Electronics/Scatt\ Expert/storage.dat. This storage.dat file is essentially one large .scatt-exert file (essentially the same file format, just a different filename extension) containing all the sessions you'll find when you click on "Open recent sessions". If you need to import a storage.dat file you can just change the filename extension to .scatt-expert

Last edited: