Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
6 Posts
5 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
There is several months that I buy a scatt mx02, I wish to train at home at 5m.
But most of the time the scatt doens't detect the shoot. I put the scatt near on the top of the barrel to avoid problem with the short distance. I try to change the light.
Sometimes it detects and working but never more than 10 shoots and after impossible to the scatt to detect the shoot.
There is someone who use a scatt at this distance in dry fire?

Your highest shooting achievement
10m pistol French Championship qualifications
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
I have an MX-W2, which basically works as an MX-02, and I use it for dry-fire at home at 8 meters as well as inside a motorhome at 3m. Works fine. But light is always an issue with inside setups as you probably guessed.

Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
93 Posts
65 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
I do and it works fine but the first time I set it up I run into trouble. Make sure you illuminate it well, there are no windows very close to the target (you can fix this with a curtain, and play around with the distance dial. This is what my setup looks like. Lowering the store so that there's no incoming light right by the target is enough.

OP
S
French championship qualification, 50m rifle prone position
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
6 Posts
5 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
There is several months that I buy a scatt mx02, I wish to train at home at 5m.
But most of the time the scatt doens't detect the shoot. I put the scatt near on the top of the barrel to avoid problem with the short distance. I try to change the light.
Sometimes it detects and working but never more than 10 shoots and after impossible to the scatt to detect the shoot.
There is someone who use a scatt at this distance in dry fire?
Thank you for your answers.
When I look in the preview mode, the target is grey and not black. There is no light which is coming from outside, I have several lights in the room where I shoot and the room where the target is placed the light is more strong.
I don t know if the power of the lights is too strong or not enough strong..

Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
93 Posts
65 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
Thank you for your answers.
When I look in the preview mode, the target is grey and not black. There is no light which is coming from outside, I have several lights in the room where I shoot and the room where the target is placed the light is more strong.
Even with good lights in the room I would try to put one light close and focused on the target, not just ambient light.
Seeing a picture of your setup and screenshots would help. Eg: I don't understand what you mean with the preview mode.

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
I have several lights in the room where I shoot and the room where the target is placed
Just as Ramon OP said before, ambient general lighting won't be enough. The target itself needs to be well-illuminated.
We highly recommend using only flicker-free LED lamps with "warm" spectrum (2700K), incandescent lights or any standard halogen lamp to ensure that your SCATT sensor can easily detect the target.

You can utilize LUX Meter (a free app) or any similar app to measure the intensity of your lighting with your smartphone.
The rule of thumb is to have at least 1000 LUX evenly spread across the face of the target (so no dark spots, shadows and whatnot).
Anything above 2000 LuX units is pretty much excessive, so you should avoid overexposure too.

For instance, these here look like solid 1100-1500 LUX range
1601886554575.png
Also, it would be best if you were printing out the target without ticking anything on this list below
(so no scoring rings, marks, border, etc - just a solid aiming black)
1601890838611.png
Background:
If we are talking home practice, it's far better to stick your paper target to a white/light-colored wall.
Sometimes darker walls are detrimental to the sensor's FOV, since it has to see more white "blank" around the target's black circle.

Some extra examples of how indoors setup usually looks like
1601898404103.png1601898413251.png1601898421905.png
P.S. if you are still running into issues, feel free to send me a private message
I'll give you my WhatsApp so we sort it our in real time

OP
S
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
6 Posts
5 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
So I download a app to mesure the light, and the place where is my target had only 50lux, very far from 1000lux...
I will improve my setup and I hope it will gett better.
Thank you again for your help.

OP
S
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
6 Posts
5 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hello
I changed my setup to have 1000-1200 lux on the target.
Last week, I tried in prone position (picture 1,2,3,4) when I wanted to calibrate the sensor , it didn't work. I didn't see the arrow that we need to see around the cercle. I looked in the preview mode the picture looked dark (picture1, in reality it less dark than the picture show). so I try in standing position the picture look less dark, and it worked several time (I try only few shot, because it was late).
But I notice that the target on the top (picture 4) had not the 1000lux.

This week, I wanted to train in standing, so I changed my setup to have 1000-1200 lux on the top target (picture5), I try all the evening I never managed to calibrate the sensor.

Note: before I buy the scatt I see on internet that it is easy to setup, it takes only few minute, I had the scatt from June, every week I spent 2 hours to understanding how to work it, but it had never working very well, only few shots sometimes.
It a very expensive things I dont understand why it so hard to work it. Some guy at the shoot range ask me if this system is good to progress, at this time I can say that it is not reliable, and I spend my time to find how to work it but not to improve my shooting.

Attachments

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Hi,
That's a huge amount of light on your target, but also around it, which could be the problem. Picture 3 shows several dark brown areas on the board that you use as a support and the software may not be able to analyse which one is the bullseye. Plus these dark areas are roughly round with a size comparable to the bullseye on your paper target. In fact your setup may well have one of the worst configuration possible because it contains visually several areas close to each other and looking like a bullseye.

In addition, although not being a Scatt engineer I would also suggest that with such a setup, your Scatt may sometimes calibrate successfully but later in your shooting series the software may still be confused and fail to correctly identify the 'real' bullseye in it's field of view. This could explain the inconsistent shot detection that you described in your first post.

My first suggestion would be to completely cover that wood board with white sheets of paper under your target.
Later on you could choose a far smaller lamp which would only lighten your wood support but not wider.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 5 years
11 Posts
5 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Does your MX-02 have the outdoor filter (iris diaphragm; pg4 #3 on manual) installed? If so, take it off for indoors.
I have experience with 3 versions of Scatt and the MX-02 is by far, without hesitation, the most high maintenance one. Maybe it'll work better at long distance but not the 5-10m range.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
I have experience with 3 versions of Scatt and the MX-02 is by far, without hesitation, the most high maintenance one
Does that include in your opinion the MX-W2, which uses the same sensor but a newer software ?

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 5 years
11 Posts
5 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Does that include in your opinion the MX-W2, which uses the same sensor but a newer software ?
Unfortunately it does not.

We're happy with our setup for 10m air rifle training for a group of 20-30 people.
- WS1 to start, quite happy with the system, albeit mobility issue. We rarely travel with them. The pro software was great.
- MX-02 was a trial purchase when it first came out with similar price-point compared to the WS1. As many pointed out in the forum that lighting can be tricky to fine-tune; until you find something that works for you. Parallax is exaggerated with a reduced distance to target. The problem is compounded since we share the unit across multiple rifles. We're seeing an issue with the MX-02 on the Pro software which I'm trying to see on another thread if it happens with anyone else.
- Scatt Basic. This is the unit we go with these days. If we need in-dept analysis we run them through the WS1. Otherwise for quick coaching the Basic is sufficient and super quick to set up (the Basic / Expert software needs a lot of UI usability tuning compared to the Pro; but looks like the company is moving towards that direction which is great).

I have yet to experience with the MX-W2. None of the colleagues I know have one yet. With the price difference of 3-to-1 between the Basic and W2 it might be a while before I get to play with one. It is truly a shame the MX-02, being the most advanced one in the bunch, slowly became the least utilized unit for us.

From the MX-02 experience, I would assume (not from experience) the parallax issue would be the same, but a non-factor if one doesn't switch rifle; or have multiple mounts for multiple rifles. Lighting indoor could still take time to set up but I understand the unit is meant to be used for both outdoor and indoor; short and long range. A factor new to the W2 would be the wifi connectivity between the computer and the sensor. Interference, latency, sharing wifi connection...etc would be something unique to this unit. Lastly, one has to think about battery life for the practice session (4 hr as documented); and how quickly the capacity reduces (all batteries do) and how feasible / how much to replace the battery.

The MX-02 actually works with both the Pro and Expert software last we ran it; but certainly feature support can change in the future. We have seen some initial features offered in the Scatt Basic program removed in subsequent updates.

Overall I feel we have the right mix of equipment to support our athletes. It is no doubt a costly investment for many; but the competitive advantage it brings will certainly accelerate one's training.

OP
S
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
6 Posts
5 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I will try tomorrow to place some sheet of paper, and I had found a smaller lamp. The filter was not mounted on the mx-02.
I hope it will works...

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
@sebastien : here are two photos of my home setup, in which I made a mock-up of SIUS electronic target (really not necessary for the SCATT, only a personal idea here). On the first one you can see how a tiny LED, less than 10 lumen, produces more than 1000 lux on the target because none of the light is lost in other directions.
IMG_20201027_211200.jpg
On the second one you can see how dark the environment can be if lighting on the target only is sufficient. My MX-W2 will calibrate and shoot every time even in the room pitch black.
IMG_20201027_210228.jpg
Hence my advice about your very bright but too wide lighting that covers the surrounding as much as the target. @Peter's photos above really show the perfect light setup for inside shooting.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
1 Posts
0 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I too have used an MX-W2, which works as an MX-02 for dry shooting and I face light issues with setup sometimes as well.

Last edited:
OP
S
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
6 Posts
5 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I had try with some paper sheets around my target, and it has working very good, each shots have been detected (around 40).
@Davidf92 were did you find you lamp? For prone position I used an office lamp, but for standing position I had to find a better setup like yours.
Thank you everybody for your help, now I can training.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
@sebastien this is a tiny USB-rechargeable lamp, supposed to be used inside an individual tent and it has a clamp to fix it on a tent pole. I bought it in a mountain/trekking shop, can't remember where but it should be very easy to find a similar one. Actually my target holder uses two of this.
Here is a description of how it is made.

Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
8 Posts
8 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hallo to everyone, here some photos about my "at home" MX-02 scatt target solution with a 10" Tablet (Sony Xperia).
I made a 3D Printed support for tablet and I fix it to a alluminium pipe (old surround speaker support).
Scatt Professiona works very well, asap I try it with Scatt expert but I think it works fine :)
NB: the target is a real photo of a printed target and it could be dimensioned how you wants to simulate the proper distance and no additional light is needed (I think that the target displayed on a laptop display or on a TV may works but I haven't tryed it)

Attachments

Last edited:
Capt SJ Ezekeil State Championship Silver Medal
Skill Level
Beginner
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
1 Posts
0 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Try a X-ray Box. It works everytime for me.I am using a 59.5 mm black (10m AP) cut out.

Attachments