Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
4 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I recently got a second hand usb WS1 system to complement our aging but still working Rikka trainer. Our goal was to enable side by side training systems with 2 shooters separated by perhaps 3 feet. However the WS1 system is unusable while the Rikka is on due to IR interference. It never occurred to me that IR interference would be an issue - silly me. But does anyone have any experience with multiple , side by side WS1 setups and how to mitigate, if possible IR interference?

OP
G
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
4 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I figured out a simple, if not very elegant solution - a fabric screen that obscures the Rikka target IR emitter from the Scatt IR sensor on the rifle and vice versa. The screen is only 3' wide and positioned approx 3 yards from the IR emitters and angled to optimally screen the targets from each other as the respective shooters are at the firing line.

Now I wonder if one USB target system can operate two sensor systems as there are two connectors on the target frame. If so then this would achieve our goal of having two shooters practicing together. But then I would need to buy another USB unit.

Your highest shooting achievement
10m pistol French Championship qualifications
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Our goal was to enable side by side training systems with 2 shooters separated by perhaps 3 feet
What are you shooting is this setup? 10m rifle? 50m?

OP
G
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
4 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
We have a 10 meter indoor range that we use mostly for dry fire training and some air rifle. The sensors on the rifles are separated by about 3-4 feet. The targets are about 18" apart. We are US high power shooters, mostly across the course and some LR.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 5 years
11 Posts
5 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
We used to have 2 side by side WS1 for the standing position and they were interfering with each other. We simply put up a cardboard up the middle of the lane, separating the lanes, so the sensor cannot see the other target / frame in a straight line. That seemed to have solved the problem. The IR beam can also bounce off the ground: but more of an issue for prone position and fixed by placing an object mid-lane.

With that thought you might also be able to stick a cardboard on the side of the target / frame long enough to block the cross IR beams.