Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I just received my mx-w2. I am having trouble getting all shots in a string to register. I calibrate it just fine and it triggers in dry fire. I only get 2-3 shots register in live fire. I am shooting palma rifle. I am using the d19-22 mount. It is back 1.5 inch from the rightsight mount. I see the "bug" when getting ready to fire on the target screen but it does not register the shot. I have the sensitivity set to high. I tried ultra setting but every bolt lift and touch registered as a shot. Shooting at 100yds 50 inch white back stop. Anyone have an idea for me?

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Hello there,

Are you calibrating without a bullet (so in dry-fire mode) every time?
Also, when we are talking dry-fire: is it the data from dry-firing and live-firing 100 yards outdoors or, let's say, you dry-fire at home with a scaled paper target and then live-fire at the range?

It would help a lot if you could screenshot how your sensitivity slider on that Calibration screen looks like
Looking forward to hearing from you,

OP
S
Your highest shooting achievement
Palma 449
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Yes, calibrating dry fire before each string.
Dry fire is outdoors.
I set to max sensitivity for live fire.
Thanks,
Steffen

Attachments

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Thanks for the screenshot!

So a couple things to try out and some questions that could help me help you better:
1) A rule of thumb in Calibration is to take a shot in the same fashion your whole practice session is going to be in.
Thus, if you intend to shoot a live-fire string, then take one Calibration shot with a bullet.
2) Make sure that the target is well-centered in the camera's FOV (Field of View). Utilize the Preview Mode to check if the target is off to the side. Ideally, when you exit the Preview Mode and aim at the bull's eye, the Calibration red dot should be as centered as possible on that digital aiming black.
3) Double check that your focus ring is set to the infinity symbol
Tell me if you are not sure what a focus ring is or don't know how to adjust it. This could be confusing for a new user
4) Are you using the supplied Iris diaphragm at the range?
Iris is this thingy below:
1594856677742.png
Also, where do you usually see the sun? Is it behind the target or behind your back?

OP
S
Palma 449
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
1. I am going back to the range tomorrow. I will try calibrating with a live fire shot.
2. Target is well centered in preview screen. I am using the D19-22 mount.
3. Focus is on infinity.
4. Using iris diaphragm with small hole.
5. I am shooting under cover 10am - 2pm so the sun is mostly overhead.
Steffen

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Got it! So try the live-fire Calibration then after that is done go ahead and try out both diaphragms and (which is the most important test, I would say) shoot a string without a diaphragm, as I assume it might not be needed whatsoever, since the sun - being mostly overhead - shouldn't be blinding the camera really

Looking forward ot your feedback after the range day :)

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Also, I suggest disabling auto-replay in settings.
Let's see whether the lags/unrecorded shots somehow correlate with this feature

Just un-tick these two in "Preferences"
1594861167764.png

OP
S
Palma 449
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hey Peter,
Did not see your last post on the auto replay so did not test that.
Live fire calibration did get some more shots recorded, 5-6 out of a string of 10.
Removing/attaching the iris did not make a difference.
Another thing I noticed: in only one string of 10 shots did I get the multicolored trace of my aim pre-shot. All of the other strings (4) only had a cross hair for the location of the hit.
I did update to the latest version of MX-W2 expert software before today's shooting.
I will test the auto replay next week.
Thanks, Steffen

10m pistol French Championship qualifications
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
in only one string of 10 shots did I get the multicolored trace of my aim pre-shot.
Hi Steffen,
This reminds me of something I experience with my MX-W2 once in a while: although the shot and hit are recorded and the hit point displayed, the trace is not or only the last 1-2 seconds are. Some other times only the hit point appears at first. But then after scrolling up then back through the shot lists the whole trace appears, meaning it was in fact well recorded. Other times the trace was appearing partly and very slowly onscreen long after the shot, only a few centimeters per second. Here again scrolling up and down made the trace appear completely. I didn't care to explore the pb since it was not so disturbing, but thought it could be related to the Wi-Fi data transfering very slowly for some reason due to local network data trafic. Maybe connecting your Scatt in the direct mode (blue light) if it is not already could improve things.

Last edited:
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
I have the sensitivity set to high. I tried ultra setting but every bolt lift and touch registered as a shot.
Another idea here I also experienced when beginning with my Scatt: The scales with/without ultra-sensitivity don't seem to be continuous, meaning lowest ultra-sensitivity not fitting well with highest regular-sensitivity. This means you could try with ultra-sensitivity on but closer to the lower side of the scale. It also means you may have to use different sensibility settings wether you are dry- or live-shooting (which is not surprising in any case)
David

Last edited:
OP
S
Palma 449
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
David,
So the Ultra sensitive mode is not just a YES/NO, I mean it works in conjunction with the sensitivity slider?

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Yes I think it does and you can easily estimate this by yourself thanks to the perception feedback on the displayed slider. I suppose you saw that already: Load and cock your rifle and you will see the instant feedback as a moving black line on the slider. If you check "ultra" this feedback appears much more sensitive but the slider is still functional and you can set your threshold the same way as in regular mode. Play with these. But whether or not this is related with your issue was just a hypothesis

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
So Davidf92 is absolutely right here about the ultra sensitive mode, as it's engaging the slider the same way your normal sensitivity mode does. The rule of thumb with trying the ultra sensitive mode is: tick the box to activate it, then set the slider in the middle (about 270 points) and start adjusting it by about 10% to the left or to the right depending on either some shots not getting registered (indicating that the sens is not high enough) and false shots due to unrelated movement being detected as if you actually fired (indicating that the sens is excessive and should be brought down a notch).

Let's also make sure that you are running the lastest version of Expert software
Please, re-install the program via the following links depending on your OS:
Windows
MacOS

When this is done, check if you have a firmware update available with the following screenshot-guide:
First, turn the SCATT on and connect it to the laptop via the supplied USB-cable then go to your 'About' tab
1595244293851.png
1595244304727.png
1595244317268.png
Attention (!)
: Don't disconnect the sensor before the "connected devices" section comes back online

Next time you are at the range, snap a couple of pictures of the target and the overall environment from your shooting spot
Also, if you have WiFi at the range, we could set up a TeamViewer session so I see what's going on in real time
If there isn't a router at the premise, I'd appreciate you recording a screencap video (there are a ton of free apps like Free Cam or perhaps your PC has a screen-recording feature by default

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Hi Peter,
Do you think what I described in my former message last Friday at 11:15 am could be related with @Steffen's issue? Do you have an explanation to what I described? (if it is unrelated, could be transfered to a new thread)

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Do you think what I described in my former message last Friday at 11:15 am could be related with @Steffen's issue? Do you have an explanation to what I described?
Yep, your assumption is most likely the case. All the data corresponding with the shot is recorded, saved and "stored" in the sensor. But how quickly everything shows up on the screen may depend on several factors, namely the WiFi signal or in some cases depending on how powerful or slow the PC is (which is pretty rare in 2020, but some old laptops are still around).

Bottom line is, there's no way to lose the shot data as long as the connection is there. It may be too weak and slow to transmit the trace/breach or display the stats right away, but if you keep going on with the series, all the data in regards to all the shots should "arrive" at the MXW2 user's software by the end of that session ;) On top of that, even if the WiFi connection breaks completely, the sensor will most likely send the remaining data to the PC as soon as the connection is established anew.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Ok clear enough, but then how would this be related to Steffen's case? He seems to record only some of the shots, but not all of them with transmission delay

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
All the data corresponding with the shot is recorded, saved and "stored" in the sensor.
Sooooo interesting :), maybe some pretty talentuous SoC design here at the heart of the Scatt sensor family's roadmap?

Last edited:
OP
S
Palma 449
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Peter,
Here is a winzip file with a 10 min mp4 of one of my strings. This is with the latest version of expert software and firmware is latest.
The following is time points of what is happening:
:34 Bolt close shot recorded in calibration
:52 Shot
:58 Clear tgt
1:12 Shot but not registered
changed sensitivity
1:40 bolt close
1:43 Clear tgt
1:59 shot - registered and continue to tgt
2:41 1st Sighter
3:00 changed sensitivity
3:20 2nd shot registers
3:34 Bolt close
3:45 3rd sighter
5:00 check if sensor sees tgt
5:26 bolt close
5:38 Shot
6:10 Bolt close
6:25 Shot does not register
6:41 Bolt close
6:53 Shot does not register
7:25 changed sensitivity
7:47 Shot does not register
8:15 changed sensitivity
8:23 Bolt close
8:28 spurious shot pickup
8:34 spurious shot pickup
8:49 shot does not register
8:55 Bolt close
9:00 spurious shot pickup
9:38 spurious shot pickup
9:52 shot does not register

Thanks for looking at this.
Steffen

Attachments

OP
S
Palma 449
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
To continue,
I am using the blue mode MX-W2. Latest expert software and firmware is up to date.
Rifle is 223 palma. Using d19-22 mount. Small iris cap.
Steffen