Do you have a physical warm-up routine before shooting?

Your highest shooting achievement
10m pistol French Championship qualifications
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Do you warm-up before a match, a competition, or even a simple shooting session? This is a puzzling issue for me. When I do any kind or warm-up I become far less stable. Besides my heart rate doesn't drop as low as without warming-up, and that adds up instability.
Meanwhile warm-up is discussed here and there as a serious preparation, in France our shooting sports federation publishes a warm-up routines guide... So I don't really know what to do. Any advice?

Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
93 Posts
65 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
Yes! I had my own and now follow an extended FFTIR warm-up. Why? To reduce injury and start with a better body and mindset. I don't have to waste precious pellets and confidence at the begining of shooting to achieve a steady state.

Shooters like Alejandra Zavala say that they need to warm-up a lot in order to be in ready state for shooting.

Coaches agree that whatever warm-up is good for you, you always do the same for training and competition (example from Jelena Arunovic).

That said, I'm still working on finding the perfect warm up for myself, although the one I use now is very good.

OP
D
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
although the one I use now is very good
Do you mind sharing it with us?

I know this FFtir's warm-up panel. Maybe I did it with too much intensity because it didn't give me good results. A good level competitor that I know who also is a triathlon athlete says he never shoots as well as a few hours after a race, or the same evening. He supposes it may due to resting muscles having less tremor but in the end doesn't know the exact reason.

A coach who I met says shooting shouldn't start less than two hours after physical training, for muscles have time to completely rest, while articulations keep warm with only small moves like walking and using one's arms. So many recipes...

Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
93 Posts
65 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
The one I'm using is the extended FFTIR warm up linked in the original post.

A warm up is not a work out. Running a race and then shooting makes you shoot with your body in a different condition, it cannot be compared to a light warm up.

You have to find your own :) Any warm up is better than none.

OP
D
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Just asking as you wrote you had yours, I thought it was specific.

50M prone WR 600/600 points twice, Suhl & Zurich
Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
15 Posts
19 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
This is EXACTLY what a Scatt is all about, answering the 'what if' questions.
You want to know how long after exercise you are back to baseline (your normal)?
You want to know how long after a meal you are back to baseline (your normal)?
You want to know the effect of stretching on your baseline (your normal)?
... insert here

Scatt is the tool to let you know, be creative with its use.

OP
D
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
answering the 'what if' questions.
Quite true. A difficult point is to try only one thing at a time, hence to be sufficiently stable on each specific technic. That requires a rather long and regular training.

Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
93 Posts
65 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
This is EXACTLY what a Scatt is all about, answering the 'what if' questions.
You want to know how long after exercise you are back to baseline (your normal)?
You want to know how long after a meal you are back to baseline (your normal)?
You want to know the effect of stretching on your baseline (your normal)?
... insert here

Scatt is the tool to let you know, be creative with its use.
I'm having trouble with this, namely because my results are not very consistent as a pistol shooter. Working on my own tracking spreadsheets has not really provided any insight yet.

How do you check these and compare sessions?

Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
15 Posts
19 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I'm having trouble with this, namely because my results are not very consistent as a pistol shooter. Working on my own tracking spreadsheets has not really provided any insight yet.

It simply means that your baseline doesn't allow to distinguish the factor you are trying to observe, you are looking within the 'noise'. This is still useful information that tells you to focus on more important factors that will have a significant impact on performance. It is the principle of diminishing return, where one needs to focus on the factors that contribute the most to an increase of performance before looking at other factors.
Hope it helps,

Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
15 Posts
19 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers

Furthermore, it applies to any level of performance. I coach rifle disabled athletes that average 630+ scores and it is as difficult to pinpoint what factors contribute the most to their performance than it is to beginners that average 600+ scores.

OP
D
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Furthermore, it applies to any level of performance. I coach rifle disabled athletes that average 630+ scores and it is as difficult to pinpoint what factors contribute the most to their performance than it is to beginners that average 600+ scores.
As to the warm-up (which is the subject of the thread) I would suggest that for beginners defects in various shooting techniques might be more predominant than warm-up in limited results. Although not a trainer, I would add that the higher the level, the more important the effects of a good and comprehensive warm-up.

ASIAN Shooting Championships 2004
Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
2 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
OP
D
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Merci de l'avoir mis. Ne sachant pas si la fédération restreignait la copie je n'ai pas osé, mais c'était ridicule.

Thank you yckaren@MAS for displaying this poster. It originates from the French Shooting Federation and can be found on its Web site here (click on the posters to download them as PDF).
There are similar posters for rifle warm-up and other disciplines. Here the rifle version preview:
2018_06_affiche_carabine_echauffement_40x60_c_hd_ss_tc.jpg
There are many additional posters about technical questions such as body position, aiming etc. Check them out.

If there are many requests I may offer to translate them when I have time, i.e. not before next week.

Last edited:
Double Distinguished
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
30 Posts
25 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers