Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
13 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
what is the difference between Distance dial and the focus ring on the Scatt MX-02

Your highest shooting achievement
10m pistol French Championship qualifications
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
158 Posts
92 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
Isn't it the same thing? The piece is technically a dial made as a ring with a distance scale, used to set the focus for the image sensor. Maybe on the forum both expressions are freely used one for the other...

OP
M
Distinguished RIfle 1998 USMC
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
13 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
ok I have another question, because I know I missed up. Instead of turning the Lens tightening screw. I got a allen wrench and turned the focus pointing ring. but now I can not find the allen wrench I used. Do you know what size it is and what the default setting the pointer should have been on

Attachments

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
158 Posts
92 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
There is no default setting. It must be set as close as possible to the actual distance otherwise the sensor won't detect the target's bullseye properly.
The ring does not move by itself so once set it should be ok to just tape it in place.

OP
M
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
13 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
ok this is what I'm seeing. So I messed up early and used an allen wrench and moved the pointer. So once I went back and read the instruction again I tried to put it back where is was and then moved the distance dial, and this is what I see now

Attachments

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
351 Posts
253 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
I tried to put it back where is was and then moved the distance dial, and this is what I see now
Hello there,

I would like you to loosen the correct screw, then roll the focus ring back and forth (a full spin in both directions) a couple of times and then tighten it up in a position that would match the physical distance to your target. Basically, just follow the video I'm attaching below and see if it brings the sensor back to its senses :)

OP
M
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
13 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
nope that did not work shoots

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
158 Posts
92 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
Hi Peter, on his pictures @marshoot points at the tiny screw encased in the ring itself. What I understand from his messages is that he did by mistake use this screw instead of the one that tightens the ring. So is that damageable and in any case what is this screw for?

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
351 Posts
253 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
nope that did not work shoots
Alright, here is another thing you can try (this should work)

1) Take a 0.9 mm hex key and loosen the screw on the focus ring itself.
It doesn't matter where the focus ring's pointer is set to in this case.
2) Then aim at the target at 7 meters (7 meters is the optimal distance here) via the Preview Mode
3) You shall find the most focused image at 7 meters, so the target is no longer blurred out
4) After the image has turned sharp, tighten the smaller screw on the ring itself. Then set the focus ring back to your intended training distance (looks like it's 5.5 meters based on the picture you've attached above) and tighten the right screw - highlighted in the pic
1597741571858.png
5) Go ahead and shoot a short practice session at 5.5 to test things out :)

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
351 Posts
253 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
he did by mistake use this screw instead of the one that tightens the ring. So is that damageable and in any case what is this screw for?
Hello David,

I don't think you can damage this screw per se. It comes into play when we as the manufacturer calibrate the camera's lens/focus for the first time. Playing with this screw can null the factory settings in regards to the camera's focus. That's exactly why we don't supply a 0.9mm hex key with the kit so that an average user no means to tinker with the wrong ring