DA

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
DA highlights the distance between your AAP (Average Aiming Point – orange crosshair here and a yellow-ish one on the image above the stat-table for the series) and your shot hole. This parameter is very visual and in a nutshell, shows how much your shot deviated from the area you’ve been holding your aim in. Roughly speaking, you can treat it as lost points calculated against the AAP - the lower this parameter is, the better!

A shooter from the right shot clearly lost control over the hold while executing the shot, as the DA is 3.7 mm away from the Average Aiming Point

The shot on the left, however, is almost perfect in regards to DA, as the parameter approaches zero. Therefore, the shot hole in this example is precisely where a shooter's been holding the gun.
1583575355102.png

Your highest shooting achievement
Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
93 Posts
65 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
Can you share average DA for different levels of Air Pistol shooters?
Thanks!

OP
Peter

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Can you share average DA for different levels of Air Pistol shooters?
Thanks!
I wish we could provide what you are looking for. However, there's not enough data gathered to arrive at any meaningful sample size

At the same time, I'd highly recommend competing against yourself first and foremost, as the DA is a very individual parameter and it wouldn't make sense to compare the average DA of a hobby shooter with what Artem Chernousov is getting

Try going by what preceded a particular DA result rather than backtracking from the DA value you got
This can be achieved by taking notes in regards to:

- What time of the day you practiced
- How much time you invested in a warmup
- How your day went in general (any physical labor? excessive stress?)
- Heartrate before and during the session
- DA results at the beginning and approaching the end of the session (when you are most tired)

Do this for a ~month and try to find some patterns/figure out the optimal timeframe for your practice sessions based on your own results and see what variables affect or boost your personal DA :)

GB Team
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
90 Posts
118 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Values of DA are dependent on the distance being shot and on your setting for the F Coefficient - the bigger it is, the larger DA will be for a given shot. If the F Coefficient set to zero, DA will be minimum as it simply measures the distance of the aim at the point of shot release (where the trace turns from blue to red) from the average aim point. F Coefficient applies a projected 'throw' of the shot away from the aim point at the instant of shot release, based on the size and direction of the muzzle lateral velocity (motion of the aim point) at the instant of shot release. The appropriate F Coefficient depends, amongst other things, on the calibre of your rifle and the distance being shot at.

MMH

SCATT Rookie
Camp Perry
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Pistol
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
4 Posts
0 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
This is a very good explanation of DA. You mention the sensitivity to the F Coefficient, that makes sense. Can you give some approximate F coefficient values for a few calibers and ranges. I'm especially interested in 22LR at 50', 25 yards, and 50 yards.

GB Team
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
90 Posts
118 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I'm not sure what the best F Coefficient/Ballistic Ratio figure is for .22LR at your distances - I generally use Scatt on the 300m 7.6mm Rifle target regardless of whether I am using my smallbore or fullbore rifle, and use an F Coefficient of 40 which is the default for more recent Scatt systems when using this target (my older Scatt defaults to 70, so I always change it to 40 for consistency with other Scatt users). 40 is considered by most UK Fullbore shooters as an appropriate value that gives the sort of results they expect.
If you have a live fire Scatt (MX--), Peter has outlined a method of determining the best F Coefficient/Ballistic Ratio for you on the targets you shoot at in the thread on Palma Shooting. If you don't have a live fire Scatt (I don't), it doesn't really matter what value you use provided you stick with the same value, as that allows you to compare your relative performance over time. The default value is probably as good as any other and allows you to compare your results with other people who don't know about, or don't bother with, the ability to change F Coefficient/Ballistic Ratio.

MMH

SCATT Rookie
Camp Perry
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Pistol
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
4 Posts
0 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I'm not sure what the best F Coefficient/Ballistic Ratio figure is for .22LR at your distances - I generally use Scatt on the 300m 7.6mm Rifle target regardless of whether I am using my smallbore or fullbore rifle, and use an F Coefficient of 40 which is the default for more recent Scatt systems when using this target (my older Scatt defaults to 70, so I always change it to 40 for consistency with other Scatt users). 40 is considered by most UK Fullbore shooters as an appropriate value that gives the sort of results they expect.
If you have a live fire Scatt (MX--), Peter has outlined a method of determining the best F Coefficient/Ballistic Ratio for you on the targets you shoot at in the thread on Palma Shooting. If you don't have a live fire Scatt (I don't), it doesn't really matter what value you use provided you stick with the same value, as that allows you to compare your relative performance over time. The default value is probably as good as any other and allows you to compare your results with other people who don't know about, or don't bother with, the ability to change F Coefficient/Ballistic Ratio.
Charles, thanks for your reply, it helps. And thanks again for the reference to the post on the Palma thread.

OP
Peter

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Charles, thanks for your reply, it helps. And thanks again for the reference to the post on the Palma thread.
Yep, what I've outlined there is basically the optimal approach to finding your personalized coefficient the one that takes into account all your variables)

Also, you don't really have to bring your SCATT and laptop to the range with you (although that would be ideal), since every shooter is more or less consistent from series to series. Thus, you can simply take the cards with you after you are done shooting live rounds for the day and adjust your coefficient in the comfort of your home ;)

Here is a little tip in case you've been fidgeting with coefficient values and now would like to go back to default settings, yet forgot what it was set to initially. Just create a new user and start an event - this should effectively reset the settings in regards to your Ballistic Ratio

Reactions: MMH

MMH

SCATT Rookie
Camp Perry
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Pistol
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
4 Posts
0 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Yep, what I've outlined there is basically the optimal approach to finding your personalized coefficient the one that takes into account all your variables)

Also, you don't really have to bring your SCATT and laptop to the range with you (although that would be ideal), since every shooter is more or less consistent from series to series. Thus, you can simply take the cards with you after you are done shooting live rounds for the day and adjust your coefficient in the comfort of your home ;)

Here is a little tip in case you've been fidgeting with coefficient values and now would like to go back to default settings, yet forgot what it was set to initially. Just create a new user and start an event - this should effectively reset the settings in regards to your Ballistic Ratio
Thanks Peter. I've got to say that this forum is one of the best ideas I've seen for a few years around the SCATT product. Speaking of good ideas, does anyone know if the iPad version of the software is proceeding?