Correction to take effect on all shots - SCATT Basic!

Your highest shooting achievement
first place at the german championships
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
26 Posts
18 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
it would be very nice to have the correction not only take effect to the shots after you made a correction but also to the shots before the correction.

Also i can only repeat myself, it is a must have to set a time correction factor because there are big differences between the real shot and the SCATT shots because in my opinion the SCAT is a little bit too late or maybe too slow.
If you shot on a rest this will not be shown with so big differences in compare to a beginner whose movements are very fast.
If your movements are very fast the SCAT shot is too far away from the real shot.

10m pistol French Championship qualifications
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
139 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Hello,
Keep in mind that SCATT is historically, and remains above all, a training tool with a competition focus within ISSF rules. As I understood it was developed to help train the Russian competition teams, in the '90s or so. This is why, for example, most targets are real competition formats as to their respective rules (supported disciplines have long been ISSF and similar, then widely expanded along software updates). It is also the reason why match format is by default 10 shots per target. Also why sessions start with the "sighting" period after which you switch to match, as this is the standard ISSF rule. In ISSF competition (and maybe others I don't know of) the sighting period's purpose is to warm up your move and position, as well as to adjust your sightings, which in SCATT is performed through the calibration process.

If by "correction" you refer to calibration correction, the reason it doesn't apply backwards has the same grounds. When you start a shooting session, whether training or competition, your sights are almost never well adjusted. This is because your aiming accuracy has from day to day many factors unrelated to your only gun, such as your vision, time along the day, ambiant light, wind when outside, physical tension or fatigue, mood, etc. It can also be your choice of amunition that day. Therefore "in the real world" you must correct your sights each time. If you don't, or not well enough, it will impact your scores and rightly so.
It is also very common to need correcting your sights during a match, once again because of growing eye or body fatigue, sun/wind change along match duration, stress etc. Competition rules provide means to readjust your sights any time along a match in many disciplines, usually through "dry fire", which SCATT reproduces as you can not only correct but also recalibrate at any time without counting match shots.
Sights adjusting is a technique and every time a performance in itself. You can miss it, and along with its to-the-rule genes SCATT doesn't help you perfectly calibrate nor later correct. From a competition point-of-view it should not.
If you don't detect the need to readjust in a match, or miss the right time, often waiting to much, once again it will impact your coming shots and scores. But of course it won't modify your previous shots with scores already accounted for. Hence SCATT reproducing this general rule.
David

Last edited:
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
139 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
By the way and along with an outside-match-rules idea, I have long suggested the interest of adding free-format scoring, which is often used in sports and/or competition training. In junior training you will set progression goals, for instance score at least 2 eights or better in a 5-shot row. As another example, in order to train concentration, take a pause then restart and shoot a 9 or 10 cold, which is difficult for juniors. Or extend shot-series without decreasing score, like 10, 15, 20 etc.
I don't think it would be very difficult to add custom modes in which you could adjust shots per target and targets count. Also interesting, different targets sometimes used by shooting schools, for example with wider bullseye. Further more, free scoring such as 1 point inside bullseye vs. 0 outside, or 2 points for 8 or better, etc. Icing on the cake, storing such custom modes.
Backwards correcting as you suggest would fit well in this range of ideas.

Without going that far even a tiny shots-per-target option would be so useful. Sadly never an answer on that.

Last edited:
OP
O
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
26 Posts
18 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hi David,
at first i understand the rules and behavior of the Scatt and i have discussed my ideas very often with Scatt support people.
Scat for me is a training tool and has nothing to do with ISSF rules and competitions. I think even the Basic is not allowed in Online Matches so far?
My main problem is that some of the feature in the Expert software, are not developed in the Basic software.
For example the time factor. In my opinion the Scatt Basic is always a tenth of a second too late, so shots where you aim very strong are same with the original shot on target, but if your aiming is a bit shaky, the shots are more outside than the original shot.
As far as i know the Expert software has this factor for the timeline and there you can see what your result would have been if you always pull the trigger earlier or later. Then the shot groups are moving closer or wider, depends on your fault in pulling too late or too fast.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
139 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
Apparently software features scale up with versions prices, hence "basic" more limited than "expert". Kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

Final at AirOShoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
88 Posts
61 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
By the way and along with an outside-match-rules idea, I have long suggested the interest of adding free-format scoring, which is often used in sports and/or competition training. In junior training you will set progression goals, for instance score at least 2 eights or better in a 5-shot row. As another example, in order to train concentration, take a pause then restart and shoot a 9 or 10 cold, which is difficult for juniors. Or extend shot-series without decreasing score, like 10, 15, 20 etc.
I don't think it would be very difficult to add custom modes in which you could adjust shots per target and targets count. Also interesting, different targets sometimes used by shooting schools, for example with wider bullseye. Further more, free scoring such as 1 point inside bullseye vs. 0 outside, or 2 points for 8 or better, etc. Icing on the cake, storing such custom modes.
Backwards correcting as you suggest would fit well in this range of ideas.

Without going that far even a tiny shots-per-target option would be so useful. Sadly never an answer on that.
Great idea to implement some challenges and games scoring. I wonder how to do it in a way thay is not too distracting while training. Presets?

OP
O
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
26 Posts
18 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Apparently software features scale up with versions prices, hence "basic" more limited than "expert". Kind of makes sense, doesn't it?
yes, this is right and i totally agree to this point of view, but if i see that the measurement is out of time, there has to be a correction factor also in the Basic version!
I use my Scatt Basic mostly together with sharp shooting (air rifle) and the differences between Scatt and Meyton are sometimes very strange.
I agree that the Scatt is a training tool and not a electronic scoring system, but it has to recognise the shot when it is done and not a tenth or so too late.