Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
14 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
When calibrating the camera, is the alignment of the shot and where it is placed on the target suppose to be off a little or should it be centered?

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
When calibrating the camera, is the alignment of the shot and where it is placed on the target suppose to be off a little or should it be centered?
Ideally, it should be as centered as possible. But don't get discouraged if it's not - you can always make a fine-tune electronic adjustment after a couple of sighting shots (the “Make correction” button is there to help)

Here I've time-stamped the part from one of our setup videos so you have a visial illustration when it comes to how much wiggle room there is.

OP
CineMark
Your highest shooting achievement
Regionals
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
14 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Perfect. Thank you.

This is off topic, but what are your recommendations for lighting of the target? Work light or spotlight?

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Perfect. Thank you.

This is off topic, but what are your recommendations for lighting of the target? Work light or spotlight?
We highly recommend using only flicker-free LED lamps with "warm" spectrum (2700K), incandescent lights or any standard halogen lamp to ensure that not only your SCATT sensor can easily detect the target but also so that your eyesight is safe during every training session.

By the way, you can utilize LUX Meter (or any other free smartphone app) to measure the intensity of your lighting with your smartphone. We recommend to have at least 1000 LUX evenly spread across the face of the target (so no dark spots, shadows, etc.)

For instance, this one here looks like solid 1000-1200 LUX
1586635281157.png
There's pretty much no need for an industrial grade worklight, since an IKEA lamp should do the trick (as long as the quality of the light is good and it doesn't flicker) - just don't use a pocket flashlight (this won't work 100%)

OP
CineMark
Regionals
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
14 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I may have mistepped with spot instead of a flood.

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
I may have mistepped with spot instead of a flood.
Feel free to try lighting solutions suggested above (flicker-free LED lamps with "warm" spectrum (2700K), incandescent lights or any standard halogen lamp) and shoot me a private message here on the Forum or an email (peter@scatt.com) if you run into some issues ;)

OP
CineMark
Regionals
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
14 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Will do. This is how it is now. I may go back to Lowes and get the Flood instead. This is a 75W replacement 11W GE 850 Lumen Warm White LED Spot. I'll test and let you know.

Lighting1.jpg

Thank you for the help. Once I get this going, I'll stop bothering you guys.

Mark

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Hello Mr. Cinense,

Just checking on you: how's it going with the setup? :)

OP
CineMark
Regionals
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
14 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Seems like it is working, except when I click on Start Match, the SCATT only records 2 Series and on Series 2 only 5 shots to bring the total up to 15. For sighters it records the total amount shot live fire.

The other thing is, it seems like the Scatt drops network connection after about 15-25 min of fire. Is this normal? Do I need to configure something?

SCATT Expert version 19.10.23

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Seems like it is working, except when I click on Start Match, the SCATT only records 2 Series and on Series 2 only 5 shots to bring the total up to 15. For sighters it records the total amount shot live fire.

The other thing is, it seems like the Scatt drops network connection after about 15-25 min of fire. Is this normal? Do I need to configure something?

SCATT Expert version 19.10.23
Are you on MAC?
Could you, please, direct message me your MXW2's serial number?
Click on my avatar and then on this button
1587871995001.png

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Alright, it seems like this is a network issue rather than something being wrong with the trainer

I strongly recommend switching to another channel
First, download a free app on your smartphone (for instance, WiFi Analyzer or NetSpot) to figure out what channel performs better a.k.a. the channel that is less crowded

I'm not a huge MAC guy myself, but this guide here should do the trick when it comes to actually changing the channel

OP
CineMark
Regionals
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
14 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Peter,

Good morning. I would agree with you, but I am using the peer to peer where the SCATT is the host. Should I be using a 3rd party WAP? I think with that setup we get about 4 series in. I can test that sometime today and get back to you. If it is a network issue, is that the limitation of the SCATT doing both WAP and sending information to the SW?

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
I see, so that happens in blue mode as well?
Perhaps, you have Bluetooth ON so that signal interferes with what's going on between your laptop and SCATT? Could you run an experiment and completely isolate your trainer and the laptop (so turn the router off, the bluetooth off, any other wireless devices, etc.)

But before you do this, let's make sure your firmware is up-to-date:

Turn the SCATT on and connect it to the laptop via the supplied USB-cable
So the mode should automatically switch to yellow (USB-direct connection)
Then follow this screenshot-guide to update the firmware:
1588002766614.png
1588002772927.png
1588002780874.png
Attention (!): Don't disconnect the sensor before the "connected devices" section comes back online
After this is done, feel free to disconnect everything, reboot your computer and run a test practice session both in blue mode and green mode (picking the least crowded channel)

Looking forward to hearing from you again :)

OP
CineMark
Regionals
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
14 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I think the firmware is up to date. What about time outs, what should they be?

1588010269365.png

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
What about time outs, what should they be?
Yes, the firmware appears to be up-to-date, that's good

So, please:
1) Make sure the sensor is fully charged before the experiment
2) Max out the idle shutdown timer in the settings
image.png
3) Isolate just the sensor and the laptop, so no other signals are present and run a test session in Blue mode
4) Then get a router going and test the green mode as well.

Take notes and report the symptoms here so I have more data to recommend something
Looking forward to hearing from you

If you can make a screen-cap recording in Blue mode, that would be fantastic, as we can't really utilize remote access in this mode due to TeamViewer dropping connection as soon as the devices engage each other

OP
CineMark
Regionals
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
14 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
For max out time, I tried putting 9999 as the max, but it's not going to that. Do you know what the Max Timeout is?

During the experiment, should we run through like a normal full match practice?

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
For max out time, I tried putting 9999 as the max, but it's not going to that. Do you know what the Max Timeout is?

During the experiment, should we run through like a normal full match practice?
9999 is too much, try 600-900
It's not that crucial though, I don't think the issue is due to the idle timer (but just make sure it's not like 20 seconds, you know)

Yes, normal full match till the moment it disconnects (if it does)
A screen recording is great, cause we can see every step that led to that connection loss

OP
CineMark
Regionals
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
14 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Too bad there is not a log to capture what is happening. Maybe even a debug or something like that.

Hopefully I can have this to you tomorrow sometime.