Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
65 Posts
34 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
Hi all,

I've just finished my list of over 40 suggestions for a "perfect" SCATT. Some highlights:
  • Match mode.
  • Speed, momentum and direction of gun muzzle at the moment of shot release.
  • Allows to change default replay start (eg: only replay from 2 seconds before the shot).
  • Highlights and historical data of shooter...

I feel like I'm not done, so it will probably grow :)

Your highest shooting achievement
10m pistol French Championship qualifications
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
135 Posts
82 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
Hi,

I went through your list. There are lots of interesting ideas, some obvious, some long-time awaited, and many discussed here and there on the forum (and among shooters in shooting clubs and ranges).
But as you write yourself it reflects an opinion of a "perfect Scatt". Meaning quite an other software. So besides the freedom of doing it of course, what is the purpose of this list? What is it's value? Why did you do it?

Software development is costly, the work time of developers is costly. In any software company that effort has to be carefully distributed between bug corrections, several levels of improvements with priorities and minor/major versions focus, as well as medium- to long-term development (an example of which is the Android app) as directed by product vision and marketing.
Lists of improvements are useless unless supported by precise and solid argumentation about what they bring, which lack they respond to, why they are the good answer to a desired functionality. It is quite common to postpone ideas until a substantial amount of reasons add up to even start working on them, and most ideas never make it to reality, and rightfully so.
Hence what is the purpose of making this long list, which you even write is yet to expand, without such argumentation?

(Nothing personal in this reply of course :) even though it may seem a bit sharp)

Last edited:
OP
Ramon OP
ramon@olympicpistol.com
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
65 Posts
34 Helpful Votes
2 Best Q&A Answers
I do it to contribute, to help, to share what I as a user would like to see in the software and to help with the development. Also to compile in a list my wants instead of just leaving them around in random posts in forums and social media for the SCATT team to find and collect. I'm helping putting forward a lot of work that most other users are not ready to do. I do not want to be a whiner that relishes in its complaints, but to contribute in a positive way to the development of a great tool. My post is helpful, there's no criticism or negativity, just things that I would like to have in the future.

I know perfectly well that software development is costly, and hardware too. It is not my role to know about the resources of SCATT as a company, but as a paying user I can contribute to its development with my feedback. So far I've used two of their sensors and two different software programs, which gives me a good perspective. They are the ones that decide on priorities based on their own culture and policies and release cycles (all private to the company). All I can do is try to help.

No, I don't have to add extensive argumentations of why one or the other, although there's a lot in the article comparing SCATT Expert and Professional. Most of them are self evident.

What I thought about doing was to order them by importance, but it became too difficult and has been one of the reasons why this post has not been published months before. In the meantime I've learned more and had more ideas, so there's a positive side to having postponed it.

Of course I will keep on working on it. I work with SCATT multiple times a week and I will keep on adding as I figure out more things. I can also improve the current post based on constructive criticism and ideas from other users, and also on my own rereads. Waiting for a far away future when everything would be perfect would not help SCATT nor anybody.

If there's any point or points that you don't get you can always ask in the comments on the blog or here. This would help me word things better and the next readers understand everything better and with less effort.

Unfortunately there's no submission tool for bugs and feature development. I would love to have something more organized than this forum (which is already a great move forward!), but there's not such a thing. My experience with software and product development has taught me that the more structure the better, so I'm trying to contribute in a more structured way (not perfect).

Do you have priorities? Share them to make it easier for SCATT to take them into account.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
135 Posts
82 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
Hi,
Ok I get your point of view :)
Do you have priorities? Share them to make it easier for SCATT to take them into account.
Yes I'll try to do that or rather carry on with what I've been sharing so far (y)

GB Team
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
74 Posts
87 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hi all,

I've just finished my list of over 40 suggestions for a "perfect" SCATT. Some highlights:
  • Match mode.
  • Speed, momentum and direction of gun muzzle at the moment of shot release.
  • Allows to change default replay start (eg: only replay from 2 seconds before the shot).
  • Highlights and historical data of shooter...

I feel like I'm not done, so it will probably grow :)
Lots of great ideas here, though I agree with Davidf92 that some of them would benefit from a little more explanation of how it would work and, especially, what the benefits would be (e.g. how it would be used, what information it would provide and how that is useful).
It would be really great if it could be turned into a survey, so that Scatt users could indicate which features they would find really useful, which would just be 'nice to have' and which they wouldn't use, so that the Scatt team could see where they should put their priorities.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
135 Posts
82 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
Let's not forget this forum represents a very tiny part of the thousands of Scatt users all over the world. Most would reasonably not even search for it if they didn't need some kind of support, which means that they probably don't come here at first to discuss improvements.
If you look at the members activity page of the forum you can easily see that hardly more than 10 to 20 members have participated in discussions for more than 10 messages in total. Most active forum sections are Q&A and online tournaments, which depicts the forum as a great support and community place, whereas the "improvements" section has been mostly used by a handful of members (at least recently).
Hence it's hard to conclude this place is the one where the Scatt team is going to find the most interesting and important improvement ideas.

The way I see it it, the forum has been primarily a way to collect bug reports for the new Expert software, which itself is part of a marketing switch towards individual hobby users as opposed to competition teams and clubs. This shift comprises the wireless sensor, and the awaited Android app is it's next step. That's where the forum will be very helpful to Scatt for Q&A and bug reporting, which is why the forum and it's community had to be started way ahead of releasing the smartphone app. Online competitions, effectively and happily conducted by @Peter, are also typical of such strategy.

In my opinion one of the most helpful way if you mean to help the Scatt team would be to contribute time to scan the forum, collect ideas and argumented needs from all you can read and add priority factors based on how repeated, important or bothering expressed problems seem to have been. That's where comprehensive analysis and global understanding will be really helpful to support argumented improvements ideas.

But I may be all wrong as Scatt support team and especially @Peter may have already done that work and the Improvements section may be just a side complement. That supports the idea that only argumented suggestions can be helpful. But once again this is just my opinion, I'm not meaning open ideas are valueless and as I already wrote I find your list filled with very good points (y)

Last edited:
484 - SCATT Open Tournament (May 2020)
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
19 Posts
33 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I don't see any form of published commitment to roadmaps for the scatt products. Surely I can understand that not all companies wish to disclose backlog or work in progress. To me then it doesn't make sense to put up yet another, probably overlapping, list of things that I would like to see.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
135 Posts
82 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
True, but didn't we read in some of @Peter's messages that they are working hard on their Android version with a release "soon"? To me that's good enough as a short-term roadmap, if it doesn't wait too long. I prefer them working hard on that rather than PC upgrades (as long as bug corrections are handled) . Would be great for September when competition season starts again.
You did maybe notice that in the last year there has been an upgrade of almost all PC versions (at least Windows) every months, but they skipped June. A good sign for me :)

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
135 Posts
82 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
that not all companies wish to disclose backlog or work in progress
I guess it might be rather a question of company culture in Scatt's case. Once they are on Android they may well have to improve on that because it is not well appreciated on that platform

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
135 Posts
82 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
They say they have been stuck with old-time MS-DOS-like "look-and-feel" (which was rather meaningless in that prehistoric time). Not a very convincing explanation but at least that will have to change at last.

484 - SCATT Open Tournament (May 2020)
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
19 Posts
33 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Yikes.. soon... At our office we have a couple of forbidden words. Among which is the dreaded 'soon'. As we demand commitment in SMART terms or at least specific, measurable, realistic and timely from our suppliers, we provide the same commitment for delivery to our customers. Whatever is in the pipeline at Scatt I'm sure it will be awesome adequate at least. Quickly tempering my expectations here :)

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
135 Posts
82 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
Yikes.. soon.
Ha ha, quite agreed (y)
But to be fair "soon" is my personal wording and I don't remember in which precise terms it has been mentioned in the forum. Besides it is a translation from whatever word in Russian and meanings may differ.

While being a Scatt user for less than one year, I have so far seen them more as great engineers with the burden of adding software to the equipment they manufacture, than the contrary. The equipment is awesome, they simply have a large improvement margin on the software side. I'm confident they feel the need.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
135 Posts
82 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
135 Posts
82 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
It is not my role to know about the resources of SCATT as a company, but as a paying user I can contribute to its development with my feedback
Hi Ramon, I already liked your latest post, and in addition particularly like this quote up here and share your opinion in it.
David

cjajxrfc2008
Skill Level
Junior
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
8 Posts
0 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
[QUOTE = "Davidf92, сообщение: 1526, участник: 796"]
Если вы посмотрите на страницу участников форума, вы легко увидите что в обсуждениях, в общей сложности, участвовало не более 10-20 человек.
[/ QUOTE]

Не все знают о существовании этого ресурса. Время... время и реклама сделают своё дело.