Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
5 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I’d like to hear how other prone shooters use their Scatt as a training tool. Besides shooting strings while keeping an eye at the trace length, do you have any other specific drills you can do with a Scatt to improve your live-shooting ?

Your highest shooting achievement
GB Team
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
90 Posts
118 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Keep a record on a spreadsheet of some of the key measures from each Scatt session to monitor changes (improvements!) over time. To ensure the measures are directly comparable, it is important that each 'session' comprises the same number of shots - I suggest 10, 20 or 30. Even if you fire 60 shots in each of your training sessions, this will help to show whether your performance improves or drops off during the course of those 60 shots.
Key metrics to record are:
Date
Average Shot Time
Average 10a0% (NOT Average 10.0% - that depends on how well your aim/sights were zeroed for the session)
*Average Trace Length
Average S1
*Average S2
*S2/S1 (simple spreadsheet calculation - smaller the better, ideally 1 or less)
*DA (average 'impact distance from average aimpoint')
*Stability of Aiming (from the Info page - measures the extreme spread of the average aimpoints, i.e. how close to the same position your aim is for each shot) Note that this figure is invalid if you change your zero at any time during the session's competition shots.

The ones with an asterisk (*) are probably the ones most worth monitoring to see improvements. Other things you might want to monitor are:
Diametrical Dispersion (extreme spread of your 'shots on target' group) Note that this figure is invalid if you change your zero at any time during the session's competition shots.
Average Vertical and Horizontal Trace Lengths (and Elliptical Factor - Tracings, which is the ratio of them - shows up whether your aim movement is random or predominantly vertical or horizontal - the nearer to 1 the better)
Elliptical Factor - Group (is your actual 'shots on target' group round or more/less vertical than horizontal? The nearer to 1 the better)

If you select the same target to train on, you can compare your numbers with your fellow shooters, and could even have a competition between yourselves. Note that as well as using the same target (many numbers are proportional to nominal distance to the target - 10m, 50m, 300m, etc) you need to have the Ballistic Ratio/F-Coefficient set to the same value if you want to compare DA, Diametrical Dispersion and scores.

600p
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
3 Posts
1 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hello! Yes i think there is several options to improve you live score using scatt! Add to what you mention i would say you can practise your breathing control, rythme, trigger control and to relax and know tension in your body when shooting!

GB Team
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
90 Posts
118 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hello! Yes i think there is several options to improve you live score using scatt! Add to what you mention i would say you can practise your breathing control, rythme, trigger control and to relax and know tension in your body when shooting!
You are absolutely correct. Scatt is a great tool as you can see the effect of any changes you make to your position or technique. Just be sure only to make one change at a time, otherwise the benefits from one change may be masked by the negative effects of another, and you will never know. Also if you make a change and it doesn't improve things (give it several weeks, at least, as performance can go down after a change before it goes up to a new high), you can revert to what you were doing before and try something else. If you monitor the metrics I listed above, session by session, Scatt will show you whether a change has improved your performance or not.

Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
23 Posts
25 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Pretty much any of the drills you could do live fire: Shooting under significant time pressure (to find where the wheels fall off, and what just seems "faster than your comfort zone, but still pretty effective"); shoot a shot or two, stand up, reset, shoot another shot or two, repeat; crank the f-coefficient (Ballistic ratio) up to an absurd level to punish sloppy trigger breaks; shoot (normally or a drill of some sort) after a run or other workout to get practice shooting with an elevated heartrate like you might find with match pressure or on a particularly hot day.

GB Team
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
90 Posts
118 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
crank the f-coefficient (Ballistic ratio) up to an absurd level to punish sloppy trigger breaks
Nate - did you know that you can change the F-Coefficient (Ballistic Ratio) on a saved file and it will change the projected impact points as if the session had been done using that value? It will change the impact point of each shot and also the score, 10.0, 10.5, 10a0, 10a5 and DA (right hand column - distance of impact point from mean aim point).
Note that, unless the 'throw' is due to bad trigger technique (always throws in one direction, away from the middle), if the aim is a bit off centre, a significant proportion of shots will be thrown closer to the middle (score higher) with increasing F-Coefficient!

Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
23 Posts
25 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Nate - did you know that you can change the F-Coefficient (Ballistic Ratio) on a saved file and it will change the projected impact points as if the session had been done using that value? It will change the impact point of each shot and also the score, 10.0, 10.5, 10a0, 10a5 and DA (right hand column - distance of impact point from mean aim point).
Note that, unless the 'throw' is due to bad trigger technique (always throws in one direction, away from the middle), if the aim is a bit off centre, a significant proportion of shots will be thrown closer to the middle (score higher) with increasing F-Coefficient!
Yeah, but I find the benefit of that is reduced if you play with it after the fact. "that shot would have been ugly, had I set the F-coefficient high... but I didn't, so all is good" is quite different than "ugh, if I want to shoot clean, I better not do that!" and switching back and forth also means you get to think "yeah, that was ugly with the f-coefficient high, but *it was still clean at a normal f-coefficient*" instead of pointing out what you need to work on. Yes, that's all mental games, but picking an f-coefficient and sticking with it for the practice (either one that mirrors reality or one that penalizes mistakes) works best for me.

OP
Paul
Master Class Prone
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
5 Posts
3 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
crank the f-coefficient (Ballistic ratio) up to an absurd level to punish sloppy trigger breaks
It is always set at 65 so I think I am being sufficiently punished ! ;)

Thanks for your reply !

National
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
2 Posts
0 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
At what hieght should be the target if we are practicing at 5 Metres?How do we find it

Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
23 Posts
25 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
At the height of your front sight in your normal prone position is a good starting point.

Unlike air rifle (fixed height target that's rather close and so the angle is very important, requiring a bit of trigonometry to figure out what the height should be), the target's farther away, so the variation matters less. Plus, the firing points can vary (on the ground, on a table, on a possible uneven firing point for those shooting outside) enough that the ideal height is less of a concern. For me, I tend to mount the target lower than my position would imply, as my position tends to point high, so I can easily adjust my position for a higher target, but a lower one causes more issues--so it's better for me to practice a lower target.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 5 years
11 Posts
13 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I have calculated the target height (G50) from the target height (140cm), my eye level (depending on the position) and the distance of the corresponding training situation.

British Short Range Champion 2019
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
19 Posts
16 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Pretty much any of the drills you could do live fire: Shooting under significant time pressure (to find where the wheels fall off, and what just seems "faster than your comfort zone, but still pretty effective"); shoot a shot or two, stand up, reset, shoot another shot or two, repeat; crank the f-coefficient (Ballistic ratio) up to an absurd level to punish sloppy trigger breaks; shoot (normally or a drill of some sort) after a run or other workout to get practice shooting with an elevated heartrate like you might find with match pressure or on a particularly hot day.
Hi Nate. How do you crank up the f-coefficient? I'm using Scatt Expert.

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Hi Nate. How do you crank up the f-coefficient? I'm using Scatt Expert.
Hello Sir!

So the F-coefficient or the Ballistic Ratio (as it's now entitled in Expert) is behind this icon in your upper right corner
1599312894611.png
Feel free to use the slider ot the +/- grid to adjust it
1599312946127.png
However! I highly recommend reding through this guide before doing anything with these settings
There's a high chance a new user messed up his stats if not equipped with proper understanding of what this Ratio does and how to arrive at the Ratio that would be a custom fit for you

AR-60 598; AR-60 629,6
Skill Level
Junior
Primary Discipline
Air Rifle
SCATT Experience
Just Lurking
45 Posts
10 Helpful Votes
1 Best Q&A Answers
[QUOTE = "Петр, сообщение: 1747, участник: 1"]
как достичь соотношения, которое подойдет вам индивидуально.
[/ QUOTE]
А как узнать, что подходит лучше? Что брать во главу угла?

British Short Range Champion 2019
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Small-bore Rifle
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
19 Posts
16 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hello Sir!

So the F-coefficient or the Ballistic Ratio (as it's now entitled in Expert) is behind this icon in your upper right corner
View attachment 1342
Feel free to use the slider ot the +/- grid to adjust it
View attachment 1343
However! I highly recommend reding through this guide before doing anything with these settings
There's a high chance a new user messed up his stats if not equipped with proper understanding of what this Ratio does and how to arrive at the Ratio that would be a custom fit for you
Does changing this ratio have an effect when dry firing or only when live firing?

GB Team
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
Over 10 years
90 Posts
118 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Does changing this ratio have an effect when dry firing or only when live firing?
Yes - Ballistic Ratio/F-Coefficient affects the predicted impact point, so affects the score and DA - the distance between the average aim point and breach (impact point). It also affects 10.0, 10.5, 10a0 and 10a5, amongst other things. On Scatt Pro (at least - don't know about Expert) it can be changed after the shoot has been saved and will revise all the metrics that it affects as you change the value (so you can see how you would have performed if you had had it set at another value).

Last edited:
Reactions: SRA