Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Centerfire Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
I have SCATT USB. Software is Pro version 6.83.15. Latest drivers and firmware were installed a few days ago.

I am new to SCATT and was reading through these Q&A posts to learn what I can. I read where Pro will be discontinued and replaced by Expert. And while the Expert software will not currently work with the USB hardware, I read that I should be able to install the Expert software and import my sessions. I figured this would be a good way to start learning about the Expert software. So I downloaded and installed it. I opened the software, clicked Open recent sessions, on the bottom I clicked Import, browsed to my current .scatt files, selected one, clicked Import and received the message Unable to import 1 file. The session has ten shots in it. Its event is '25yds NRA B-8 Pistol .45 cal'. The SCATT Pro software was closed when I tried to import into Expert. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Hello there,

Could you attach the practice file in question here? That would really help :)
We've discovered a minor import bug recently and pretty much patched it in the latest update...so this is exciting

OP
joy2shoot
Your highest shooting achievement
Master - NRA outdoor Precision Pistol
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Centerfire Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Peter, attached is the file. It was recorded as a Match, not a Sighting. The event is NRAB845. For your information, I get this error message with ALL the files I create in Pro. My Pro version is 6.83.15. My Expert version is 20.05.22. The computer is a new Dell desktop running Windows 10, 64 bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Peter, attached is the file. It was recorded as a Match, not a Sighting. The event is NRAB845. For your information, I get this error message with ALL the files I create in Pro. My Pro version is 6.83.15. My Expert version is 20.05.22. The computer is a new Dell desktop running Windows 10, 64 bit.
Thanks for that extra info and the file. It doesn't import on my PC either
I've already forwarded this to our devs - I'm going to get back to you with an update soon

P.S. quite weird, as the bug we've found recently concerned with files that had cyrillic characters in the title. Yours has none whatsoever and I even imported it from the Desktop (so no cyrillic characters in the folder's title either)

Once again, thanks for pointing this out!

OP
joy2shoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Centerfire Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Thank you Peter. If there is other information I can provide, just let me know.

I did read about the Cyrillic character bug, but assumed my issue is different since I am located in the USA.

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
3 years
6 Posts
6 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
The same thing happens with 300m ISSF files (recorded with SCATT Pro). I'm unable to import them into the Expert version of SCATT. Take a file from the 300m prone competition to check.
best regards
Andy
50m smallbore file working without any problems

Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
5 Posts
1 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Sir, I am facing the same issue as mentioned above. I have the SCATT MX-W2 and the SCATT Expert supporting software for the same. I record and save my practice session on my SCATT Expert software, but when I export the saved file and my coach tries to Open it on his SCATT PRO software, an error continuously occurs which reads ' Unable to load file' . After this problem persisted , I downloaded the SCATT PRO software on my own laptop and tried it once for myself , but to no avail. Could you please help and guide me, as to how could I view the SCATT Expert Files on any SCATT PRO software. Thank you.

Suraj Bhambhani

OP
joy2shoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Centerfire Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Sir, I am facing the same issue as mentioned above. ...

Suraj Bhambhani
Just to be clear, the problem I am having is trying to load a file created by SCATT Pro into SCATT Expert. It sounds like the issue you are having is trying to load a file created by SCATT Expert into SCATT Pro.

Suraj, maybe your coach can download and install SCATT Expert onto their computer. They should be able to do this at no charge. This should allow them to read your file. I think, I am speculating here, the reason the SCATT team is allowing Pro files to be imported into Expert is that they are discontinuing the Pro software and they are trying to create a path for Pro users to migrate to Expert.

Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
5 Posts
1 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Just to be clear, the problem I am having is trying to load a file created by SCATT Pro into SCATT Expert. It sounds like the issue you are having is trying to load a file created by SCATT Expert into SCATT Pro.

Suraj, maybe your coach can download and install SCATT Expert onto their computer. They should be able to do this at no charge. This should allow them to read your file. I think, I am speculating here, the reason the SCATT team is allowing Pro files to be imported into Expert is that they are discontinuing the Pro software and they are trying to create a path for Pro users to migrate to Expert.

Yes Sir. We are unable to load a file created by SCATT Expert into SCATT Pro.

Sir I believe there are some additional graphs and information available for analysis in the Pro version, which has yet not been incorporated in the Expert version.

I was just wondering wether it could be done, if at all (transferring and reading files from one software to the other).
Thank You.

OP
joy2shoot
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Centerfire Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
11 Posts
2 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
... I believe there are some additional graphs and information available for analysis in the Pro version, which has yet not been incorporated in the Expert version.

I was just wondering wether it could be done, if at all (transferring and reading files from one software to the other).
Thank You.
Suraj, to be clear, I am not a SCATT employee. So what I have to say is based on my experience and my interpretation of what I have heard.

It is my understanding that SCATT's plan is to migrate all Pro users over to Expert (I don't know when). Therefore, SCATT is trying to provide a path from Pro to Expert by having an import feature in Expert to accept Pro files. It is also my understating that version 6.83.15 of the Pro software is the last Pro version to be released. Therefore, if you cannot import an Expert file into Pro with this version, you probably will never be able to. Because I am not sure why SCATT would release the ability to import an Expert file into Pro since they are trying to decommission Pro.

There probably are some graphs/data in Pro that are not in Expert. But to see what graphs Expert has, be sure to click the menu icon (three horizontal bars) in the upper right of the trace window. I also read where you can see additional info in Expert by clicking the Print Preview button. Now, it is my opinion that a Print Preview feature should never be used to see information that you cannot find somewhere else in the app. But that is just my 40+ years of IT development talking.

Regards,
Thomas

Skill Level
Professional
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
Less than 1 year
5 Posts
1 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Suraj, to be clear, I am not a SCATT employee. So what I have to say is based on my experience and my interpretation of what I have heard.

It is my understanding that SCATT's plan is to migrate all Pro users over to Expert (I don't know when). Therefore, SCATT is trying to provide a path from Pro to Expert by having an import feature in Expert to accept Pro files. It is also my understating that version 6.83.15 of the Pro software is the last Pro version to be released. Therefore, if you cannot import an Expert file into Pro with this version, you probably will never be able to. Because I am not sure why SCATT would release the ability to import an Expert file into Pro since they are trying to decommission Pro.

There probably are some graphs/data in Pro that are not in Expert. But to see what graphs Expert has, be sure to click the menu icon (three horizontal bars) in the upper right of the trace window. I also read where you can see additional info in Expert by clicking the Print Preview button. Now, it is my opinion that a Print Preview feature should never be used to see information that you cannot find somewhere else in the app. But that is just my 40+ years of IT development talking.

Regards,
Thomas

Thank you Sir. Your insights were really helpful.

Best regards,
Suraj

10m pistol French Championship qualifications
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
Air Pistol
SCATT Experience
3 years
222 Posts
149 Helpful Votes
3 Best Q&A Answers
there are some additional graphs and information available for analysis in the Pro version, which has yet not been incorporated in the Expert version.
Hi,
There has been discussions with @Peter in the "feature suggestion" forum hereby about graphs existing in Pro and not in Expert, whether experienced Scatt users did miss them and why. The intervals and probability graphs are among the ones concerned. I suppose we may expect additions in the Expert version when pro shooting teams, clubs and trainers begin buying more wireless Scatts, which is maybe not yet the case (or at least not enough yet). As long as competition shooters and teams are limited to the Pro version because they use features that are not yet in the Expert version, they will still buy the MX-02 and not the MX-W2 (not compatible with the Pro version).
So, wait and see. Let's cross our fingers and look forward to good news soon.

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
I have the SCATT MX-W2 and the SCATT Expert supporting software for the same. I record and save my practice session on my SCATT Expert software, but when I export the saved file and my coach tries to Open it on his SCATT PRO software, an error continuously occurs which reads ' Unable to load file'.
Hello Suraj Bhambhani

It's not a bug or some inconsistency. SCATT Expert has a different software architecture and practice files recorded with this software can't be opened via SCATT Pro (however, it's possible to go the other way around and open Pro files in Expert). Pro is quite outdated at this point and will be retired soon, with the vast majority of its features already implemented in Expert and some leftover features and stats to come very soon.

Please, give our team time to wrap up the mobile app, release it on both Android and iOS - then we'll come back and make Expert even better so you won't even think about opening files in Pro ;)

Peter

Administrator
Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
491 Posts
380 Helpful Votes
6 Best Q&A Answers
Hello joy2shoot and ttdenimblue,

So the devs have investigated the issue and it looks like it has been patched 100% for 64-bit systems
Please, download this version of SCATT Expert and try importing the file all over
It definitely works on MACs and Windows running 64 bit, while we are not so sure about 32-bit systems...

Here's the proof that joy2shoot's file actually opens in Expert now (y)
1594801560005.png

Skill Level
Amateur/Hobby Shooter
Primary Discipline
High-power Rifle
SCATT Experience
3 years
6 Posts
6 Helpful Votes
0 Best Q&A Answers
Hi Peter
It works (tested with a 300m ISSF file) now with the new software version on 64-bit system. Thanks a lot!
best regards
Andy